Feb 11, 2007

The angry blogger.

Blogging is fun and all that but, I mainly feel that it’s a means to an end. Specifically, the reason I’ve been doing it is to get in the habit of writing regularly and to prepare myself for writing longer pieces of both fiction and non-fiction. It’s like a lot of things I do in that it may not pay of immediate dividends but, there is a goal at some unseen point somewhere down the road which will be reached because of the efforts put into an area.

I can’t really say that my blog has a distinct focus though, mainly I use it for whatever has caught my attention at a given moment and then use it as a place to try to write about my thoughts on a particular topic.

Thing is, I’ve noticed blogs generally fall into a couple of basic categories:

There’s the self promotional blog which is focuses mainly on promoting the writer(s) of the blog, it’s a way of getting their message out to the world and most of the entries are specifically designed to promote their latest endeavor.

Then, there’s the gripe blog - here a blog is used as an outlet for all the indignities and slights the blogger is subjected to as they make their way through the world. Sometimes these kinds of blogs can go into excruciating detail about personal matters (sometimes to the peril of the author), other times it can just be a matter of griping about a specific area of interest (lots of political blogs are devoted to these efforts). They are usually short on answers but, long on the gripe.

There are also blogs which are devoted to driving traffic to other sites and generating revenue (a lot of porn blogs set up this way - oops that’s right none of us looks at porn, it just those other people.)

I’m sure there are a couple of other categories but, I think you get the drift. I don’t think my blog readily falls into any of these divisions easily but, I wouldn’t think I would be the best judge either.

One thing though that blogs are generally short on, is generating a good laugh for their readers and I think that‘s not a good thing. So, with that in mind, the next few posts are focused on doing just that (making you laugh) enjoy.

First up, if you ever find yourself in a foul mood - may I suggest a brief electronic sojourn over to The Onion website where you can find gems like the one below:

Office Janitor Asks To Work From Home

No comments: